Monday, December 7, 2015

Ode to my Ford Focus

It's time.

My 2001 Ford Focus proved that its life is coming to an end tonight.
It overheated as we crawled through the overpass.
It didn't wait until we reached the red light like it did last week.
The temperature gauge needle didn't stop past the halfway point.
It went three quarters of the way today.

It's time.

I've known for a while this time has been approaching.
I hoped it would come after the holidays.
After I found a new home.
A place with a garage to house my new transportation.
But that would've been too easy.

It's time.

I adopted her in 2004.
With thirty-five thousand miles.
And shiny blue paint with specks of glitter.
She sported a tattoo in the read window that read, Saved.
Because she was salvaged from a horrendous accident.

It's time.

She wasn't a world traveler.
But dared to explore the streets of Hollywood and Downtown L.A.
She drove my friend Darcie to her wedding ceremony.
And found her way to the Riviera in Palm Springs after Susanna and I got lost.
She also offered my parents their first taste of French cuisine in Laguna Hills.

It's time.

She always cared about her looks and well being.
She had cosmetic surgery done to replace her peeling paint.
Her fan was replaced after being stranded at Target.
All but one window has been fixed.
And she got her oil changed religiously.

It's time.

At 109,000 miles, it's no surprise her health is failing.
Her used-to-be tremors have graduated to full-on shaking.
The lights are flickering and the radio shuts off randomly.
Her heating just went out.
And now she's overheating.

It's time.

My mother asked me, Don't you feel bad putting her down? She's been so faithful.
I thought, Of course, she's my first car. She taught me how to drive.
And I buried my feelings instead.
I said, She's a machine and she's done what she was meant to do.
But I didn't mean it at all.

It's time.

She's been reliable.
She's compact and good on gas.
She fits my family perfectly and comfortably.
She's always had my back.
She's my first car.

It's time.

My first baby in the Fall of 2004, when she was clean and shiny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment